Sunday, September 11, 2022

Valuable Lessons

We had two birthday parties yesterday, one for the boys' friend from school who was turning 3 and another for a good friend whose daughter was turning 4.  This is the sweetest age for birthdays.  

The kids had a blast at the first and the boys had a decidedly less happy time at the second and I learned two valuable lessons: the boys still need their afternoon naps despite appearances to the contrary, and I overextended myself thinking I could handle three boisterous little ones at the pool essentially by myself (with the occasional help from my mom).

Kids fooling around at breakfast and while getting ready
Enjoying the playroom and birthday activities at Bamboo Grove
On the way to our second birthday party, Lola and Teo BFFs in the car and then later Teo possessively slurping down coconut water like a fiend. 
It was really hard to be at the pool with all these other parents and kids (both parents there, only two kids, older kids who were fully water safe) in contrast to my own situation. Instead of putting me in a good or festive mood it just made me impatient, frustrated, shrill and defeated. I'm going to try harder to be more cognizant of my own circumstances and limitations in the future, and accept that we simply can't do *everything* *all the time*, but also that when we do activities, not getting everything done perfectly doesn't mean it was not worth doing or that it was a failure. 

We came home and still had a nice evening with fresh homemade sushi which Lola helped to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment