Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Activities with Lola: AMC, Cinco de Mayo, Fun Zone

Here are some pictures of what we have been up to lately:

Two weekends ago, we went to the Aberdeen Marina Club, an awe-inspiring private club on the south side of Hong Kong island.  I am not sure how to explain the sheer size of this place - it has two wings with multiple swimming pools, multiple playrooms containing slides, life-sized trucks, cars, buses, helicopter, play dressing area, multiple play kitchens and grocery area, a play pet store, ball pit, and toys, toys, toys toys everywhere... and that's not even getting to the slides and adventure zone for bigger kids, or the arcade... seven (I think?) restaurants, an ice skating rink....  It's heaven for children.  Lola does not disagree.
We then went to the American Club, another private club, last Friday night for their Cinco de Mayo dinner.  This club is also so children-friendly - the place was full of families and kids hanging out on the grass for movie night.  It is still a bit chilly by the pool so that part was quiet when we went.  Lola loves their children's playroom, The Eagle's Nest, an incredibly elaborate, fully padded, two story obstacle course with slides and ball pit and all the makings of great adventures.
 
As you can see, it has been pretty overcast in Hong Kong.  It has been pouring every day and downright frigid (for Hong Kong in May), hovering in the upper 60s to low 70s.  Yes, I know, it's all relative.

Last Saturday, I took Lola to the Fun Zone, a padded playroom that you have to pay for entry, located in the Westwood mall at Belcher's.  This place was SO loud because they were blasting the dance music and at the same time the kids in the place were shrieking and laughing as they chased each other around.  I got some pictures before the place got crowded.  It was a very popular venue for birthday parties.
 



 


 The Fun Zone had a huge, huge red slide with a nearly vertical (hair raising) drop, which Lola really wanted to try.  I took her twice and I was probably more terrified than she was.  My imagination was getting way ahead of myself and I was picturing all kinds of doomsday disaster scenarios, such as Lola flying out of my hands, or one of us breaking an arm or something.  As Michael says, there is no doubt who Lola gets her super cautious, scaredy cat instincts from! 

I was really proud of Lola though, she got off the slide after our first run and immediately said, "hai yao!"  But I think she was really terrified - and after she went down a second time, assured of her accomplishment, she didn't want to go again.  I get the sense that for her a lot of it is being able to say that she did it.

 I blame this place for getting me sick.  I came down with a nasty sore throat and cough this week.  My tonsils are burning.  I am walking around with a light blue surgical mask over my mouth to avoid contaminating anyone else.  But on the upside, Lola had a pretty good time.

         `        

No comments:

Post a Comment