Saturday, November 9, 2019

30 Weeks

I made it to 30 weeks!

Now it's T minus any day now, but hopefully we have a while because we have not yet purchased quite a few things that we need, heh.  I find the kicks have been relatively more intense this time around, probably because the babies are more cramped in there and already running out of room - sometimes my belly is just roiling with their movements.

When I go in for my scans, it's hard to tell what anything is or where anything is - there'll inevitably be a somewhat disembodied thigh bone floating on top of a head or a fist randomly appearing between two legs.  It's a much less enlightening experience compared to when you just have to keep track of one baby.

In a bit of really depressing news, I went to my check up and the OB at the public hospital wants me to check into the hospital and get my blood sugars tested to see if I need better compliance with the glucose testing guidelines or if I need to get on insulin.  My numbers have been a bit high since I went into my last appointment because I have been consciously trying to eat more carbs and cheese, at the advice of the dietician.

That sounds nuts to me - checking into a hospital?!  I want to avoid hospitals because I associate them as very dirty places where you can pick up a staph infection, and I associate public hospitals in Hong Kong as incredibly brusque, fluorescent circles of purgatory where you just wait and wait and wait.  But setting personal prejudices aside, I am now registered to check in as an inpatient at 7:45 am on Monday.  I was told I will be in the hospital for at least 2 days for them to administer their food to me, to see if I really have baseline issues. 

Words... fail me to express how dismayed and horrified I am at this prospect.  The weather has been beautiful in Hong Kong as of late, and the only break I get out of the routine cubicles of my office, my commute, my apartment... is this?

This whole process has been so frustrating and the contradictory advice I have received to date makes me think that no one in the medical profession really knows what they're doing. I've been told to eat less carbs, to eat more carbs, to put on weight, not to worry about my weight, to meet a 2000 k/cal diet which includes 3 big snacks on top of 3 big meals a day, to skip my nightly snack to try to fix my fasting number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment