Sunday, September 30, 2018

Tuscany: Moving to Our Second Villa, and Views for Days

I'm back from my work trip (landed at nearly 10 pm Hong Kong time Friday night after an insane morning that started at 7 am, and culminating in my racing for the airport in a carsick-induced haze at 12:40pm).  By the way, I know how to count back and count forward the hours in different time zones in each place, but plane travel always boggles my mind a bit.  I always find myself wondering, but where does the time go??

Anyway, I thought I would go back to my Italy posts to cheer me up.  When I felt super happy and relaxed:

After our Siena roadtrip, we came to our second villa near Gallina, between Montalcino and Montepulciano. 

It had amazing, amazing views.

And I really enjoyed the slate infinity pool.
As did Lola:
 
 The water was really cold but once you got in and acclimated, it felt so refreshing.

My sister and I would have some pretty swanky cocktail hours by the pool, given the sun set at a very late hour.  On a particularly enjoyable evening, we sat there reading our books while the sun  splashed a warm glow across the hills in its gradual descent.  

The property had prolific lavender bushes that attracted bees and butterflies and which were begging to be trimmed (and Jovie and Amanda were more than happy to oblige)!  They managed to "harvest" bunches of the fragrant flowers.
There was a little apple tree on the property that managed somehow to have at least 20 apples on each branch.  Really, everything grows here.  We plucked a bunch of apples one night and made an impromptu apple bake, with cinnamon and sugar and butter.
 And it seemed everything in the Italian market was ready-made for nibbles: pecorino chunks, pickled antipasti, olives, fresh figs, sweet melons, prosciutto, crostini, bread...!
 

Lola very much enjoyed her time under the olive tree, on the soft grass. We tried to get her to play outside a lot.

She was really into her sunglasses on this trip - not wearing them, but chewing on them and such.
The weather and light here were so compelling - even when it looked like it might storm, there was always a strong beam of sunlight shining through the clouds.

What a beautiful memory!  The place certainly had its faults, but in retrospect it was all really minor.  It's mostly this that I will remember:

No comments:

Post a Comment