Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tuscany: A Golden Interlude

Hello!  We are back from Italy and I am finally making my way to my dear, poor, neglected blog.  I apologize for the woeful lack of updates, but while I was in Tuscany I just couldn't bring myself to sit down in front of the computer screen, as much as I wanted to update in real time while my memories were fresh.
I couldn't tear myself away from these views!
And then, of course, the return from vacation is always an abrupt and rude awakening, as we try to catch up on everything that was temporarily suspended, and scramble to get back into our daily routines.
I am already thinking about our glorious, sun-filled holiday in Italy as a golden interlude - two weeks of peace, quiet, sunshine, fresh figs, sharp pecorino cheese, good wine, rolling landscapes, olive trees... just soaking up the sweet life.  La dolce vita, I get it.

My sister and I were so lucky to manage to time our vacation so that we could hang out together in Italy.  After an initial freak out, Lola took an immediate loving to Amanda, staring at her in fascination, and letting Amanda hold, hug, cuddle and kiss her.  We thought that perhaps Lola sensed no stranger danger because my sister and I have the exact same voice and similar mannerisms, but for whatever reason Lola really embraced her auntie!

We stayed at the Capanna, a standalone house converted from a barn, on the La Poggiolaia property for our first week.  While the amenities were a little bit more basic than our second villa, the layout of the house was fantastic and everything felt very roomy and comfortable. When we finally pulled up (and, after a 12.5 hour flight to Rome, followed by an interminable car rental process checkout, followed by a very long car ride, made all the longer by an unhappy Lola who wanted to vocalize her hatred of her car seat), it felt like paradise.  The sunsets and views here were so breathtaking.




Here are some pictures in and around the place:
Upon parking, we saw that there was a bona fide trellis with abundant bunches of grapes growing!

 

 
 
My only issue was with the mosquitoes - I got attacked in the first few days of our trip, rendering me very itchy and uncomfortable.  My poor legs are still carrying the residual scars from those vicious bloodsuckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment