Saturday, June 30, 2018

Weekend Woes, Playing with Food, Picnic in the Park

I drafted this post 3 days ago and then didn't get around to pressing send!  Doh!  Original post below:

Greetings from hump day - two more days until the weekend! 

This past weekend was sorely disappointing.  I had had such high hopes for a relaxing, fun, fulfilling few days, and instead I ended up working the entire time.  About the only good thing about it is that the weather was so terrible (roiling thunderstorms and slashing rain) that I wasn't missing out on, say, sunny days at the beach or a relaxing sail on a junk trip.

It's no surprise that working in private practice is tough - the intensity of client demands, quick turnaround time and high expectations for strong work product all lend to stress and unpredictability. Sometimes my days are incredibly quiet, other times things come up at the last minute and ruin all of my plans.  It's hard to know when to continue to make plans anyway, and also how to take advantage of the quiet times.  I've been in the industry for ten years now (10 years!) and sometimes it still surprises me how much this uneven schedule can unbalance me. 

Having a baby adds to the challenge, because there are even greater, more compelling (read: incredibly cute and pleasurable) factors competing with work!

These days, every day brings about new changes in Lola. 

Lately she has become very attached to me - I can't pop into her room at night or in the morning if I don't intend to stay.  She will commence a very high pitched, insistent yell until I return. I've taken to slipping out of the door to go to work while her back is turned or when her nanny takes her into her room.

We are trying to encourage Lola to interact with her food more.  Everyone tells us that messy play is incredibly important - including in the weaning process.  I would say that Lola has learned this lesson well...she freaking loves messy play!
Broccoli, broccoli, everywhere!  Incidentally, Lola's apron matched her food.  Never let it be said that we do not color coordinate!




Speaking of taking advantage of down times, I was able to catch an afternoon at home with Lola during a rare interlude yesterday.  We went to Sun Yat Sen park and hung out on the grass.  I was amazed at how many babies and toddlers were running around and having fun in the park.  There was a huge circle of moms (stay at home dads in the expat circle are still rare here), helpers and babies circling blankets and a picnic spread.  So this is what happens on a lovely weekday when I'm usually toiling away at my desk locked in my glass box!

Turns out, Lola loves grass (or more accurately, weeds)!  Well, actually, she loves anything new that she has not encountered before.  She is so curious about textures and colors.  When plopped on the lawn, she began insistently and fervently pulling at it.  Don't be fooled, her little fingers are strong and her strength is mighty!


 We had so much fun - although in these pictures she looks kind of upset, and that's likely because she wanted to get back on the grass!  I love her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment