Saturday, July 1, 2017

Musings on the Last Day of June/First Day of July

I once again have nothing too exciting to report, so I'll just ramble through my latest updates from the week.

Work

This week has been a rather random one of busy and not busy.  I was pretty quiet on Monday and Tuesday, but really busy the second half of the week.  I am currently managing three active deals and have a few smaller deals on the side that flare up from time to time (depends on the day as to how many things come up).  There was also some rather dramatic workplace stuff that came up, which always takes a lot of mental energy and emotion to process (often way more challenging than the actual legal work).  It's the classic high-low extremes of a small office.

Otherwise, my days typically involve making at least a few phone calls, sitting through a meeting or two, progressing drafts of documents and more documents (in and out, in and out), and lots and lots of email.  The deal I've been working on since the beginning of the year is slated to close on Monday, which is so fantastic.  Praise be.

Working Out

The week was nice in that I wasn't in the office late at night, but I still had a lot to do during the daytime hours, and I was upset that I didn't get to go to the gym as often as I would have liked.  I've been trying to be consistent with my classes lately - I find it helps my fitness participation greatly if I have classes that I know in advance are on my schedule.  If I already know the class time and instructor, it's already built into my mental calendar, and I don't forfeit so easily even if it's a busy day.  Now, my schedule is never predictable, so this is all written with a big grain of salt.

Of course, if I were a really disciplined person, I would just move my workout routine to the morning.  But, asking me to do that on a consistent basis would be akin to asking me to stop enjoying life, so I see no point in even considering this.

I've lately been doing mostly a mix of yoga and spin class, but I should really try to incorporate some swimming into my schedule to mix things up.  I'm hoping that once I'm back in the U.S. I can go to some fun and new classes that may not be as available here, such as barre workouts.

Weather

Hong Kong has been really hot and bright and sunny lately, and as I type this, the skies are opening with claps of thunder and alarming flashes of lightning.  I'm hoping this brings us all some relief, because a couple of times this week when I was walking the couple of blocks between my office and another building (to grab lunch or run errands) I thought my face was going to burn off.  The sun has been so intense, the humidity so unrelenting...yuk.

Catching Up

Having such a positive experience from my long chat with my friend last weekend, I reached out to a bunch of old friends I'd been thinking about but hadn't been in touch with for a long time.  I'm so grateful that I have so many wonderful people in my life, and while many of them are not nearby (and many of them I haven't seen in years), it's been a sweet reminder that we're not strangers and that at any moment, with a phone call or an email, we can be present in each other's lives again.  I had a wonderful chat with a law school friend this week (thankfully before my week got kind of hectic) that put me in a great mood and had me falling asleep with a smile on my face.  Then, at the end of my week (once the hectic subsided), I had another wonderful chat with another law school friend that reaffirmed all of this.  Having never been much of a phone talker or video-chatter, it amazes me how true it is that these moments of human connection do so much to raise my spirits.

Counting Down

I am seriously just counting down to my flight back to New York.  In a fit of stupidity earlier this month, I moved my flight to an afternoon flight on Tuesday and gave up my morning flight, thinking I would "want some more time" in Hong Kong to get things ready, pack, fit in a doctor's appointment, not rush things after my deal closing, etc.  Now I am looking at that mid-June self and vehemently shaking my head.  What was I thinking?!

I just want to get the hell out of here.  It's been an insane work year and I know we were in the Middle East on vacation not that long ago (which, by the way, Qatar, I can't believe what's happening there right now), but I miss my family a ton.  I can't wait to see my sister, and my grandmothers, and my parents.  Michael left last Sunday and the apartment has been tomb-like without him.

I'm on waitlist for three earlier flights (two departing Monday night and one departing Tuesday morning - I really hope I get on one of those)!  Fingers crossed.

Holidays

I was so preoccupied with being in the U.S. for July 4 (and then so distraught at not being there for the 4th) that I all but missed that today, July 1, is a public holiday in Hong Kong.  When a holiday falls on a Saturday, I pretty much don't register it.  There were fireworks that were happening down by the piers today, but I also didn't see those.  Simply forgot.  Also, to be 100% honest, the only fireworks that excite me are those that take place at my college reunions (insert HUGE grin here).

Happenings in the Building

Okay, this one is not that interesting at all for normal people, but for Michael and me it is super phenomenal news.  Last week we saw packaged chips and snacks being loaded into a storefront that was formerly occupied by a hair salon on the ground floor.  Excited, we ran over to ask the people what was coming in to the space.  Turns out, it's a supermarket!  A U-Select, which is a pretty nice store that carries a lot of Tesco (British) snacks and products, as well as a decent groceries section.  And now it's right downstairs!  Woo hoo!

Yeup.  Only in a crowded city where every store within three blocks of you is a dried seafood store can you be so thrilled with news like this.  Hong Kong -  we like to keep aspirations simple here.

No comments:

Post a Comment