Monday, May 14, 2012

Mangosteens

Mangosteens are one of my favorite fruits.  I haven't had much experience eating them because they're not readily available in the US.  I sampled my first batch in Beijing (at the turn of the twenty-first century, dun dun dun) and then rarely had the opportunity to eat them in huge batches again.  Needless to say, my pulse quickened in anticipation when I glimpsed them at the local fruit stands here.  They have been a consistent presence in Hong Kong since my arrival, but this week they have popped up everywhere in earnest, and at significantly discounted prices.  They are in season!

Note: I would have posted pictures of these fruits many moons ago, except that every time, without fail, by the time I remembered about my blog, I had already eaten all of the mangosteens.

They look kind of like scabby, dirty stink bombs, and they have a good heft to them despite their wee size, due to their very thick skins:

If properly ripe, the mangosteens crack open easily at a gentle but firm press, yielding the creamy white fruit nestled within:





















Some may not like the texture of the fruit, but the sweet, juicy interior wins me every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment