Monday, March 19, 2012

Saturday Part I - Causeway Bay, Turandot

Michael and I had an action packed Saturday.  We went to Ikea (conveniently located in Causeway Bay) to find desperately-needed bed sheets, score a $1 blue doormat, and buy the world's heaviest metal dish drying rack on a whim.  We succeeded on all three fronts.  However, Causeway Bay on a nice Saturday afternoon is pretty crowded.  There's a reason it's the Times Square of Hong Kong:


Although I do love the trams in Hong Kong:

I bought a huge yellow sweet potato on the street (rendered to a smoky and sweet consistency, smothered by the coals of the vendor's cart), Michael tried out his first bacon-wrapped mini hot dogs on a stick, and I quenched my thirst with a sweetly sentimental fresh glass of sugar cane juice.  Sugar cane juice never fails to transport me instantaneously to the Taiwan night market.

At night, we dressed up and went to check out the Hong Kong Ballet Corp's production of Turandot at the Cultural Center in Kowloon.  I'll give you one guess as to whose idea that was.  (No, really, everyone, Michael does not like to admit it but he loves the ballet - that's my story and I'm sticking with it).  I found the ballet company to be quite talented, and I really liked the principal dancer who played Turandot, but my overall criticism is that there was too much focus on the acting and the more technical lifts and turns, which led to a production that lacked focus on the actual choreography.   Otherwise, we had pretty decent seats (front row of upper circle) for a very reasonable US$12 each.

We took the Star Ferry, a historic boat that traverses Victoria Harbor between Kowloon and Hong Kong island for a whopping US$0.31.  Here was the view (pardon the blurry blackberry pic):


And THEN, as if that were not enough adventure and productivity in one Saturday, we wandered around Tsim Sha Tsui after the ballet and...(see Part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment