Sunday, August 29, 2021

Springing Michael out of Q and Disneyland Magic

Jumping to the end of last week and the end of my vacation (beginning bit will come in next post), Michael was discharged from quarantine on the 19th of August with no issue.  Since then, he has gotten two more tests (I think that brings his whopping number of tests up to at least seven, maybe nine, in the past month) as Hong Kong requires tests on the 16th and 19th days after a 14 day quarantine, even though you are just "self monitoring" and free to go anywhere.  

The kids and I went to pick Michael up bright and early on the morning of the 19th, after I first went to pick up the car from the shop (it had been in the shop for nearly a week as they fixed all of the body damage from the scratches and dents that seem somewhat inevitable from a life of hard living in Hong Kong) and it was a really sweet (albeit slow) day of Michael, me and the kids hanging out and enjoying each other's long awaited company.  He came back with so many bags and I worked myself into a bit of a frenzy unpacking everything.  I don't know what it is about a suitcase nearly bursting with stuff post-travel - I simply do not feel that I can rest until it is all unloaded.  I must be compulsive in more ways than I realize...

 

The next morning, Friday the 20th, we woke up bright and early for Lola's SIS orientation (done over Zoom) which got us very excited for her first day of school on the following Monday (the 23rd).  We were a bit nervous, although mostly excited, about a new school and didn't know what to expect, but the orientation largely put us at ease, and by a stroke of luck we learned that Lola's school had refurbished everything and renovated their classrooms completely just in time for the start of school!  That was a very big change from Lola's prior school at KCS.

 After orientation, we then headed to Disneyland.  It was our first ever time going and I wanted to bring the boys even though I suspected it was going to be quite tough for them.  It just seemed a nice and fitting trip for the kids and for Lola before school commenced, marking this challenging, but fun, but luxurious, but hard, summer, and celebrating the fact that Michael made it back in time (miracle of miracles) to be here with us.  I also had read up a bit about the rides and how accessible they were, and I knew Lola would have the time of her life.  Here is Lola at the start of her trip, in full princess gear with cape and tiara.  I love how Michael has her sunglasses tucked into his shirt.  Something about dads and daughters... it's so sweet.

Disneyland was really fun and I understand the appeal for children and parents of such children (as I said to my sister later that same night, "This is probably the closest you can come to buying incandesent happiness... I get why parents succumb."  Plus, isn't it lovely to have a physical manifestation of what dreams coming true might look like in a magical world?  I get it.  But oh my dear Lord it nearly killed us, Michael especially.  The heat, the humidity, the heat and humidity.  I think at one point we were standing under the beating hot sun with no shade except a flimsy black umbrella, and a barely puttering small handheld fan, at 100 degrees F and well over 90% humidity, just dripping sweat.  I pride myself on someone who can really handle heat but man oh man there was a good long hour between the hours of 1 and 3 pm (when sweat was dripping into my eye in stinging waves as I tried to balance a hot, flushed and likely sunburnt Lola (who still insisted on staying in Elsa costume, bless her) on one hip while furiously scouting for ice cream which melted as soon as it hit air, while battling long never ending lines for rides with not an iota of sun cover) when I nearly lost my will to live... it was enough for me to declare that I will not likely ever grace Disneyland Hong Kong between the months of June and October.

Enough of that negativity though, I love theme parks and rollercoasters and Disney is no exception.  It is apparently the most intimate of the Disney parks (I have only been to the one in Orlando, back when I was like... 10) and was very impressed by how well the place was kept. Lola's delighted giggles when she spotted Snow White waving at her in the castle was probably enough to warrant the whole trip worth it. Lola was very disturbed for a long time as to why the Disney princesses could walk around without a face mask, but at the end of the day she had come up with a clever explanation: "Because Disneyland is their home!" She was so triumphant when she explained that to me and Michael and I was truly very impressed by that logic and creativity.

Here, at our first ride and SO delighted.


 I loved how after every ride Lola declared that one her most favorite ride or the best one, and immediately wanted to go on it again.  We managed to hit Dumbo, the spinning Teacups (twice; once with just me, Michael and Lola, and once with everyone), the Jungle River Cruise, a little bit of a Magic Castle show, the Winnie the Pooh train ride, Philharmagic (with everyone), Orbitron (with everyone), It's a Small World (twice; once with just me, Michael and Lola, and once with everyone).  We are already looking forward to being back again for Lola's birthday, this time for sure with lots of princess time booked in (a rookie mistake on my part not to have realized that this needed to be done).





Here is Teo with Siti on Orbitron.  Lola and I sat in front, and Julie, Michael and Al were in the space ship in front of us.  I'm really looking forward to when the boys get a little bit older and can come for the full day with us and really enjoy all the rides.  I know they're going to love it just as much!

Here we are glowing with heat... but really happy nonetheless. 

On our second spin of the teacups, Lola showed her daring and rebellion by spinning us soooo fast I felt ill.  She was 100% game face.


Lola loved "It's a Small World".

We ended the day with a full group ride here, and it felt like the perfect ending to a hot, tiring, and very action-packed day.  We got the first two rows of the boat and Lola and the boys soaked up all the colors and scenes with fervor and excitement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment