Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Shopping Extravaganza

So, I have completely loosened the purse strings in our household this month, and I think it's part of my recovery from my recent insane work schedule.  Now that I have a little bit of time, all I want is to partake in retail therapy!

First up, some things we are in the process of buying / have bought for Lola:

1. a little baby piano.  I am so super excited about this one.  Lola had so much fun pounding on the keys of a little piano at my friend's house that everyone exclaimed she needed one.  She was so into it at one point she even stood up to put that extra bit of emotion (and drool) into her playing (or that's how I interpreted it anyway).

2. A Fisher Price xylophone.  She bangs the heck out of the thing, sometimes with what seems like murderous intent.

3. A puppy (of the wooden variety, on a string, made by Hape).  Today, she learned how to "kiss" her puppy.  If you tell her to kiss it, she will lean all the way down until her nose touches her puppy's nose.  I die, it is the most adorable thing.  She refuses to "kiss" anyone except her puppy.  Her love of dogs is such that Michael is now thinking about getting her a French bulldog, which I really wanted for a very long time but he would not in good conscience let me buy.  But that is the power that Lola has on her father!  In any event, this has to wait until (when) we move to a bigger space, and that means we need to go apartment hunting yet again, and that means anguish of such volume and depth that I need to address it in a separate blog post.

4. A wooden puzzle shape sorter and a wooden alphabet set.  Because she likes shapes and also because the type-A in me and Michael cannot NOT include some STEM toys. 

5. A truck.  Lola really likes things with wheels, specifically because she can turn the wheels and watch how they spin.  When she goes to the playground or to playdates, she is always gravitating toward the Hot Cars and the fire trucks.  When we went to a friend's house and they brought out a baby doll for Lola, I realized with a start that we have not bought one doll for Lola.  I'm hoping to keep it that way for a while.  I am not against dolls but I also don't like the assumption that many people make, that Lola shouldn't play with cars or trucks because "those are for boys."  Bah! 

6. Splish splash bath books and Skiphop foam shapes.  I got Lola a set of foam shapes in bright colors in order to keep her entertained / distracted from standing up.  When I saw some small bath books, I couldn't resist.

That, my friends, is a lot of toys.  But what does it say that with all of that, her favorite objects are still my wallet, any piece of jewelry (the girl has taste, loves bling), and any and all kinds of electronic devices?  Hmmmm.

Second up, for Michael:

I'm not going to identify the various shirts and pants that I got here because they are very simple basics (which are all he wears), including sweatpant shorts (he swears by them), t-shirts and more t-shirts (the most important thing to check for is neck integrity), simple button downs, and hoodies (the man can't have enough).  I wish he would just try Lululemon pants (I know a couple of die-hard converts who love their Lulu's) but he has let me know in no uncertain terms that that is beyond the pale.

Third up, for various family members:

AHA!  Gotcha.  That would ruin the surprise for Christmas (I have either already purchased everyone's gift or I know exactly what I am getting everyone - definitely the most prepared I have ever been, ever!) 

Fourth up, for myself:

Ok, I saved the best/worst for last.  I. have. gone. to. town.  My closet holds about 40 hangers total and my dressers hold 7 small drawers, one of which I use to store shoes (because, Hong Kong), which means my wardrobe needs to be a fairly culled collection.  I think approximately 50-60% of my clothes are just not being worn.  Marie Kondo would be horrified. 

While attending work meetings last month, I realized just how bad I had let my work wardrobe get.  I have not done a closet refresh on my casual clothes in nearly two years, ever since I got pregnant with Lola.  Between my inclinations toward throwing things away before I have the chance to replace them (yes, this is a problem) and trying to figure out my post-partum shape, I was really in dire straits when I was stuck living out of a suitcase repeating the same five dresses over and over again for two weeks.  By the end I wanted to burn my black dresses and go on a shopping marathon, which, incidentally, is what I did/am doing (minus the burning part).

I have bought so many things in the past two weeks, and I'm not even including stuff that I bought from Shopbop (blazer and pants) and Nordstrom (pants and boots) that I am returning.  Also, clearly, pants don't work for me...

1.  J. Crew.  I picked up two of the resume dress, in a bright pink and a light seafoam green (there does not seem to be a link for the light seafoam green one any longer).  I am super excited about these colors because they are relatively unique but still professional, and I am already picturing how they will look with my jewel-toned navy suede pumps to make them pop.

2.  Lots of things from Madewell.  Here I was inspired to try their jeans, given all of the rave reviews I have heard over time.  I ordered the perfect jean short and high rise skinny jeans (in the step hem edition).  Unsurprisingly, I love floral prints and so I could not pass up on their collaboration with Karen Walker (bought a silk floral ruffled dress and, in a bold sartorial move (for me) yellow floral culottes.  Previously, I never really put much emphasis on "wardrobe staples" but I am now a believer.  For a pricier option, T by Alexander Wang all the way.  For a more reasonable option, I am giving this one a try.  I am also always cold at work due to the air conditioning that blasts year-round, so I got the Kent cardigan in heather carnation and the Ryder cardigan in golden apple.  (Whose job is it, btw, to come up with these names for colors?  I love.)  Finally, I decided to try this tie-neck styled dress. Hopefully the hem isn't too short (there are some benefits to being short after all) and the side slits remain work appropriate.

3. Farfetch. I couldn't resist the Singles' Day sales and bought another pair of Chloe scalloped ballet flats.  I have been wearing my first pair on constant repeat.  They are so expensive but they are also comfortable and I love them and I am never purchasing Bloch, Tory Burch or Repetto again.

4. Outnet.  Ditto the Singles' Day sales.  Here I ordered two Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses, one in the classic Julian and one in silk.  I am such a sucker for floral print.

5. Elizabeth Suzann.  I purchased a silk crepe jumpsuit in navy because of the fabulous reviews it gets.  I have never worn a jumpsuit and I'm not sure how it will look or if I will like it, but I was also itching to break out of my very traditional work style.  I am already eyeing their parabola dress but I want to get one item and see how I feel about it first.  This brand was first brought to my attention by this Cup of Jo post, which I found inspiring based on the featured individual's philosophy toward slow shopping, with an emphasis on high quality and longevity.  While my recent shopping extravaganza is the kind of instant gratification that I generally strive to avoid, I do give a lot of thought to the quality and material of the clothing I buy.  (I wish I could say that I do it for ethical reasons, but for me, it's all about quality and comfort.  The ethical bit is just a nice bonus.)

Finally, I wish I could say that I was done with shopping, but I still want to pick up some nice silk blouses, pants that fit me well (my nemesis), more dresses (COS, Theory, L.K. Bennett, Joseph are other brands I like), a blazer, and boots (plural)!  Thankfully we are only getting started with Black Friday, Cyber Monday and all the various holiday sales coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment