Sunday, August 26, 2012

Amanda's Arrival and Shek O Beach

My sister landed very early Sunday morning, touching down at 5:30 A.M. at Hong Kong international airport for the first time ever, and found her way to my apartment by 6:30 A.M.  I continue to marvel at the efficiency of the Hong Kong airport.  With four pieces of luggage and no resident ID, my sister was still able to sail through immigration, baggage pickup and transportation to arrive at my doorstep within an hour of landing.

With such an early start to the day, we caught up, unpacked and ooh-ed and ahh-ed over some of the items she had brought over from the U.S., and had a friendly and cheery FaceTime call with our parents and grandma, all before heading out to my favorite breakfast congee spot at a bright and early 8:30 A.M.

Afterward, we walked up through the wet markets, pausing to buy some miniature yellow pomegranates (we couldn't resist the color and the size) and some super skinny dark purple Japanese eggplants (ditto).

After some much-needed coffee and a quick nap while lazing around the couch, we headed to our first destination in Hong Kong.  My office.  (Yes, sadly, that is the first place we headed!  I needed to print out some papers but they weren't ready.  But at least my sister got to see where I spent a lot of my days.)  After that, we procured an Octopus card for her, and with that headed to Shek O beach on the MTR.



The beach was nice, the weather was sizzling, and the mouth-watering barbecue occurring all around the sides of the beach was irresistible.  Unfortunately, it meant that after the three or so hours there, we traipsed home smelling like cooked meat.  While the water quality here was better than Repulse Bay or Lamma power station, and the expanse of beach is so far unrivaled, I think I will stay away because the barbecue smoke is simply too overpowering.  It is also a very crowded beach, although I found the rows upon rows of colorful umbrellas and striped beach chairs whimsical.













Views of the beach as we wound our way home on the double decker bus:





We finished the night early with some Indian food delivered directly to our door, and my sister, triumphant that she made it to 8 P.M. (her 8 A.M.), likely fell asleep as soon as she slipped into bed.  All in all, a very successful first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment