Thursday, August 9, 2012

Shabu Shabu, or "Swish-Swish"

Tonight I went to get hot pot with a few girl friends at Katte Shabushabu, in Tin Hau.  Shabu shabu is the Japanese version of hot pot, and supposedly it got its name from the "swish swish" sounds that comes as your swirl your food in the pot.  It is a very civilized affair with one pot and one pair of chopsticks for your vegetables (cabbage, mushrooms, tofu, noodles), and one pot and one pair of chopsticks for you meat.  Each person gets their own pot.  It was very tasty.  I opted for a lovely marbled beef and, for the first time ever, a soy milk soup base.  I cannot say for certain, but I think the soy milk soup base made my vegetables "silkier".

I thoroughly enjoyed the dipping sauces - one a light, refreshing ponzu, and the other a thicker sesame. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough food for my voracious appetite!




No comments:

Post a Comment