Thursday, May 18, 2023

An Artful Lunch

I went to lunch today at 298 Nikuya Room (an oldie but goodie) with a good girl friend, and then we went to peruse the art galleries at H Queen's after.  I felt so cultured!  We also got lucky with the weather as the sun finally emerged.  I feel like we have been dealing with endless rain and muggy gray skies here!

Of the galleries we checked out, we started at Tang Contemporary Gallery where I got to see Stephen Wong Chun Hei, one of my favorite Hong Kong artists:
and be introduced to the works of Chow Chun Fei:
We then went to Whitestone Gallery, which was doing a French May exhibition entitled "Windows of the Soul":
Followed by a random pop up gallery hosting an art competition, but I was pleasantly surprised to recognize artists I saw from Art Basel, which allowed me to feel and act like I was way more sophisticated and cultured than I am.  My favorites:
We finished at Pace gallery, which had a lovely solo exhibition, "Lost," for arguably the most famous artist of the lot, Zhang Xiaogang. 

 https://www.pacegallery.com/exhibitions/zhang-xiaogang-lost/

But I was disappointed that he seems to be moving away from his portraits and these paintings felt random and disjointed and not beautiful or intriguing.

All of it was wonderful though. I love that I live in a place where I can get korean barbecue and cold noodles in an old building in an alley way for lunch, and think nothing of stepping foot in a world class gallery 30 feet away, then with my good friend chatting companionably, head right back to our offices after a leisurely 15 minute walk!  This was just the shot of cultural inspiration that I needed to invigorate my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment