Friday, February 24, 2023

Goodnight Moon

I kind of dragged myself to a networking event last night and am so glad I did.  I was reluctant because it was taking place right around the kids' bedtimes and it was on the other side of the harbour (we Hong Kongers are so spoiled, a 20 to 30 minute door to door trip is enough to question whether a corporate event is worthy of attendance).
It was at the beautiful Carlyle Club on the 56th floor of the Rosewood Hotel, with a stunning view of the Hong Kong skyline. 

Thereafter, I went to an alumni drinks event at Darkside and caught up with a friend and classmate (one of the earliest people I met at Princeton, so we have known each other over 20 years now, my God) and met two other lovely alums.  It was more in-person socializing (with strangers and acquaintances) than I've probably done in the last two years combined. I walked away feeling pretty energized by it all.

It meant I missed the kids' bedtimes by about 30 minutes but I snuck into their rooms when I got home and gave them each a loving pat and kiss. They sweetly slumbered on, though Lola gifted me with a slow curl of her lip as she turned, smiling as though even in her dreams she could feel the depth of my love for her.

I snapped a picture of the moon from my taxi window on my way home, because it was pretty and also because I wanted to show my children.  They, especially the boys, love the moon.  

When taking the picture, it struck me that while I've always been one who tries to pause and notice the world around me, having children has shaped how I do it in that wherever I go, whatever I do, and whatever I notice, I think of them.  In this, I truly feel e.e. cummings' tender and piercing lines, "i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)".

No comments:

Post a Comment