Wednesday, September 15, 2021

September in Full Swing

The boys have become so active lately and are constantly surprising us with new words, phrases and cues they've learned or picked up.  Al and Teo both know the words to Twinkle Twinkle, and sing along (imperfectly, but it's perfect, if you know what I mean) and Teo has the added embellishment of his little hands opening and closing in accompaniment.  They also do this really adorable but awkward dance of sorts, clomping their feet around taking exaggerated steps while they sing.  Al can sing parts of his ABCs, and both of them count very well (probably in Chinese better than in English, but still quite good) except they both skip four.  As their teacher laughingly noted, they probably know the superstition around the number four in Chinese culture and don't want to deal with it!

The other day Teo kept insisting to me he wanted "da kai" while holding one of the dry erase markers by the board.  It took me a while to get that he was asking me to open the marker - there was nothing wrong with how he was saying it, in fact, the pronounciation was very clear and good - I just wasn't expecting it at all and it took me aback!  Teo also says "fei ji" (airplane) and "bird" every chance he gets - the kid sees every plane and bird in the sky!! Al is also very clear when he says "xie xie" and "please". 

They have settled very well into their routine of playgroup at Fairchild in the toddler transition class three times a week, MWF at 8:45 am, and then Mandarin playgroup at home two times a week, TTh at 9:30/10:30.  They are so playful and fun and such mischievous little boys.  They love to climb, and run around, and laugh and shriek.  They are truly so cute and darling.

The kids are playing better and better together, and often Lola will ask if her brothers can come along to something, or if they can accompany.  Of course, on the flip side of that is when Teo bites Lola (Twice now, ouch), Al pulls Lola's hair (once or twice), Al and Teo fight and bite (too many to count) or Lola snatches toys out of one of her brother's hands or fights with them over something.   There are also times when Lola relishes how much trouble her brothers are in and will ask with a nearly insatiable gleam in her eye if she can "lock them up" or "give them two minutes." Ah, my brilliant, bold and bloodthirsty daughter.
 
Someone at work commented in passing that I seemed to have taken so well to motherhood, and to enjoy my children so much.  And you know, I can't say that I love all the moments - it has certainly made my marriage harder, and invited me to look into dark recesses of my own childhood and personal shortcomings which would have otherwise stayed safely tucked away - I will unreservedly and without a doubt say that motherhood has been such an unexpected blessing and has at times stopped me in my tracks with the force, pleasure and pain of the entirety of the experience.  Is there anything more fulfilling, frustrating, exasperating, tiresome and rewarding? 

We are as busy as usual and yet again I don't know how my life is passing at such warp speed.  But at least the kids are cute.  Here are endless pictures.
 















































No comments:

Post a Comment