Sunday, October 20, 2019

Rest of My London Trip and A Safe Return Home

So my first day in London sounded all rosy and lovely, but actually that night there were some horrors that awaited me - apparently I contracted norovirus, which is also known more colloquially as the "winter vomiting bug" and it erupted on Monday night with a vengeance.  It was pretty horrible if I'm to be honest, especially because I was by myself in a hotel room.

I was pretty much incapacitated for all of Tuesday, relying on the concierge to get me some crackers, bananas and over the counter acid relief medication, and relying on room service to bring me bowl after bowl of chicken broth soup.  I managed at the end of the day to choke down some mash and rice.  The doctor that I saw in London (yes, I had a GP pay a house visit to my hotel room like in olden days) was a bit shocked at how raw my nose and throat were from the force of my projectile hurling.  The only good thing to come of this was that I was given the freedom to indulge in carbs and fruit, GD notwithstanding, because it was more important to keep myself hydrated and not slipping into a hypoglycemic state.

I knew I was in bad shape because I gave up my chance to see Hamilton that evening.  Yes, that's right, a chance to see Hamilton!!  I can't remember the last time I have willingly flaked out such an exciting and thrilling opportunity - and I had so been looking forward to it also.  Hong Kong lacks the vibrant theater and arts scene that London and New York has and it felt sad to let the opportunity slip through my fingers.  I am also not going to think about how much money I spent on that ticket, although I have spent a lot of time thinking about it already.

By Wednesday morning I woke up feeling almost like a new person.  I was able to eat a hearty breakfast of eggs and toast with butter and a plate of fruit.  I also managed to go to Selfridge's to pick up my shopping items, have a nice lunch, and get some shopping done at Heathrow duty free before hopping back on a plane.

I ended up with two suitcases and a bread machine in my checked baggage. I bought a huge Jellycat rabbit, a London taxi and bus set from Hamley's and a flowered dress and pink cardigan for Lola, this light gray wool coat from The White Company, this blazer from AllSaints, and a Gucci super mini Marmont bag in nude for myself, a bottle of Bowmore 18 for Michael, and a TON of tiny size baby onesies for the twins, including hopefully their coming home outfits. 

I dreaded being on the plane for the long return flight given how poorly I'd been feeling, but it actually was a much better flight than my trip out.  On the way out, I binge watched the entire second season of Big Little Lies.  On the way home, I just read a little and then passed out, bypassing all of the movies and TV entertainment.

It was so nice to come home and see how happy Lola was to see me.  I'm still trying to take it relatively easy since being back, because long-haul travel is exhausting and also because I think my body needs a bit of a rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment