Friday, September 20, 2019

A Bittersweet Farewell

I went back to our previous apartment for the walk through and to hand back our keys and make sure everything passed inspection on Monday. 

What really got to me was how much I was and am already nostalgic for this place.  I didn't realize I would love this apartment as much as I did.  It certainly had its faults, it wasn't perfect, but it was such a sweet community and the location and the neighborhood simply cannot be beat.  It's funny now to think that when we moved in 3 years ago we thought it would be enough space - in fact, it felt like an abundance of space!  I guess with one baby it was perfectly fine, especially by Hong Kong standards.  But with Michael's work ramping up so much and being so demanding, requiring full use of one of the rooms as a home office, the place got small fast.  And then with the pending new arrivals... it was just not doable.

I will really, really miss this place.  I hope Lola gets to look at these pictures and know that she had a really wonderful first 21 months of her life here.  She knew this neighborhood so well - she knew all the spots to buy food and fruit, all the playgrounds and parks nearby, the entrances to various stores, the tram stops, the buses, the MTR, the coffee shop with the biscotti with mommy, the Starbucks with the spicy water with daddy...it is a very bittersweet farewell.




View from the living room looking directly down
View from Lola's room.  She would always point to the slides, and sometimes also the swimming pool, while she got her diaper changed before bed.
The view looking straight out over the park from our balcony

2 comments:

  1. So excited about your new place and future adventures as a family of five, bu totally understand the bittersweet goodbye of a place with so many happy memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, yeah, I wasn't expecting to be as sad to leave as I was! It totally hit me by surprise.

      Delete