Thursday, August 15, 2019

An Action Packed August Thus Far: a Signed Deal, an Anticipated Visit from My Sister and an Inaugural Trip to Ocean Park

Thanks for everyone's well wishes on my last post!  We are excited and worried and scared, but it's all happening whether we are ready or not, so I am just trying to get us as ready as possible!

Meanwhile, to return to our usual programming - catching up on everything that transpired after we returned to the US.  It has been hectic - we were dealing with a lot of issues!

First, Miss Lola was completely turned around and had no idea what time of day was what, wanting to go to bed at 11 am for 8 hours and waking up at 1 am wanting to play.  Ahhhhh jetlag...  But thankfully she managed to get over this in about a week this time.

Second, just as soon as I got back to Hong Kong, battling jetlag and trying to get everything unpacked and back in order, I learned that one of my deals that had previously signed had truly well and completely fallen over.  This has actually never happened to me in my entire M&A career, so I would say that it is pretty unusual and spectacular.  What ensued was an entire week of nonstop negotiations, trying to meet a nigh impossible deadline, ironing out all kinds of issues both commercial and legal.

Third, Amanda was due to come out and visit me on the following Tuesday, and I was worried I would miss her completely.

I was on standby to fly out on Wednesday night (July 31), but due to a typhoon and further developments on the deal I thankfully did not end up flying out until Sunday night (August 4).  I was really worried because I knew that once I left, I wouldn't be able to return until after the deal was signed - which meant, with Michael still being in the U.S. and working, and my sister not coming until Tuesday, I would have been leaving Lola to the care of Jovie and her nanny entirely for almost half a week.  It's at moments like this that I realize how acutely we would love to have family close by - and how much better it would be if they were closer.  Lola loves both sets of her grandparents, and the feeling is mutual - it's just too bad we can't get their help at the snap of a fingers when needed.  Thankfully, because I didn't end up leaving until Sunday night, and with Amanda showing up on Tuesday, the gap was pretty small.  I finished my deal in the wee hours of the early Thursday morning, and immediately hopped on the first flight out at 7:50 am.  I think in the first week of August I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night.  It was really brutal and awful.

Leaving for Australia on Sunday afternoon for the airport was no easier.   I left on a high note of cuddling with Lola while she ate grapes, nestled in my lap, and reading a book together, but ached at the thought of how many days would have to go by before I could be back to spend time with her.

But, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday passed in the all night and all day blur that only intense last minute M&A negotiations can bring, and I came home with the deal done and dusted (at least for now) and eager to hang out with Amanda who was swinging through Hong Kong after wrapping up her nice long honeymoon in Japan and before moving on to Korea to travel with her friend.

Amanda and I went to dinner at the Chinese Library the first night I returned (Thursday night, August 8, if you're still keeping track), in Tai Kwun, and caught up over beef tenderloin and a salted fish kale claypot.  On the second night (Friday night), we enjoyed a delicious hotpot with beef and pork and lots of veggies (yum) at home, followed by a massage with my regular masseuse for 2 hours and 1.5 hours, respectively.

On Saturday, Amanda and I took Lola to Ocean Park, an amusement park on the south side of Hong Kong, fighting the immense heat and humidity and crowds (although the crowds weren't as great as I expected).  It was so hot, we were all just pouring sweat freely.  I was quite worried about Lola because her whole head was soaked and her cheeks were so red.

Despite living in Hong Kong for over seven years, Michael and I had never been to Ocean Park.  A huge oversight on our part!  Turns out it is a fun place, packed with lots of activities and, like many things in Hong Kong, afforded us a nearly constant jaw-dropping view of the water and mountains.  I am not sure many roller coasters have this kind of view - and maybe it adds to the thrill when it appears you are flying off a huge cliff!  It has to be one of the most vertical amusement parks in the world - built on a cliffside so steep that there is a lower part (the Waterfront) and a higher part (the Summit), the two which can only be reached by cable car or an express train.

Ocean Park is now readily accessible by means of an MTR stop parked directly outside the amusement park entrance.  We made our way there after Lola had her morning nap and lunch.  We first went to the Asian Animals exhibit, where we saw two large crocodiles, a very playful and cute sea lion being fed a lunch of small fish, and tried to see the two panda bears (but in vain).  Lola loves crocodiles!  We also went to a goldfish exhibit were we saw all types of goldfish with huge eyes, and then a koi pond.
 
 
 Then we went to the Whiskers area, which is the play area for little children, with slides, ropes, and an outdoor climbing wall.  We went for a ride on the merry go round - Lola posed angelically for it, then as soon as it started turning she clambered off the horse and demanded to be held.  I held her for the whole time, trying not to feel nauseous as we twirled.  This is the last time I take Lola on a merry go round!  As she told me in Chinese later that night, "Lola does not like to ride horses!"  Well noted, darling.
 The train, however, is where Lola really enjoyed herself.  We probably could have ridden that train three or five more times.
 But we left the Whiskers play area to head up to the Summit.  We wanted to try to catch the show at the Ocean theater.  We took the train up.  Lola was not scared of the dark at all, and ate her grapes peacefully while watching the jellyfish images.
 We missed most of the show at the theater, as we had to change Lola and it just takes so much longer to get anywhere with a stroller and multiple bags.  We did catch the last five minutes and Lola got to see some very well trained dolphins dance and flip in the water.  The theater was packed.

 We decided to ride the cable car on our way back down, but first we took a detour to the cool jellyfish exhibit.  They had some beautiful ones on display.  Lola got a little bit scared because it was so dark in there, but we didn't stay for long. 
The view from the cable car was pretty nice.  I can see why they recommend people who are afraid of heights not partake in this ride!  The cable cars are very rickety - open air, just some thin metal bars, and automatically closing doors that don't look like they really fully close...

To my surprise, Lola, who has sat in multiple cable cars, gondolas and ferris wheels without any noticeable reaction, had a pretty adverse reaction to this one despite being securely tied into her aunt.  She kept insisting that she wanted to get off the cable car.  Thankfully the ride was not long and we managed to distract Lola for long enough until we managed to disembark safely.
 
All too soon, Amanda's visit to Hong Kong had come to an end.  She left for the airport bright and early on Sunday morning.  I was really sad that she didn't stay for Sunday, given we still had another day over the weekend - but now, with the benefit of hindsight, I think we're both really glad Amanda managed to get out of Hong Kong on time without delays, before the entire airport was thrown into utter mayhem and chaos, with hundreds of flights cancelled and an interim injuction issued!

No comments:

Post a Comment