Saturday, April 28, 2018

Three Fridays

What a different snapshot the last three Fridays have painted!

On Friday the 13th, Michael and I managed to make it out to dinner with some friends at a gastropub in Tai Hang called Second Draft.  It was a really good time and I was nearly hoarse at the end of it from all the exuberant shouting and laughing that we we were doing. I hadn't returned to work yet, the night was beautiful, Lola was safely asleep in her bed, I had Michael by my side and friends across the table... it was really lovely.

On Friday the 20th, I was in the throes of my personal hell, finishing up a daunting mark up after an intense return to work and missing a highly anticipated dinner with a bunch of friends.  I just remember looking at my clock on my laptop as the time inched closer and closer to 8 pm and realizing that there was no way I was going to make it.  Is there a sadder feeling?

This Friday the 27th, I was content to sit at home and enjoy my evening, happy that I had turned in my mark up by 5pm and was able to hang out with Lola before she went to bed.  She was in rare form, highly excitable and completely not willing to sleep at all.  Apparently she has learned the power of her vocal chords and can really project!

Let's see what the next Friday brings us...

There hasn't been anything exciting going on in our household lately, except that we have spent a shocking amount of money in the span of two days.  We got our air conditioner units professionally cleaned (they smelled like mold and mildew and I was worried simply cleaning the filters wasn't going to be sufficient), I just renewed my gym membership by paying for two years upfront (ouch, suddenly I am very conscious of every day I haven't made it to the gym!), we just started subscribing to an organic vegetable delivery service, I splurged on a beautiful babybjorn high chair in a bright but soft aqua (I am such a sucker for their designs), and Lola just had her echocardiogram done at the hospital (a good amount of which should be covered by insurance, but it's still a shocking amount to pay out of pocket before you get reimbursed).  To top it all off, I somehow managed to spend nearly US$20 today buying four organic apples and a bag of peas for Lola (she liked bananas by day 3, she still was not a fan of carrots by day 3 - let's see what she thinks of apples)!

The very good news is that Lola's ticker is in good condition and her heart murmur hasn't increased in size.  She was so brave in the hospital, lying very still as the technicians stuck the electropads all over her chest and the doctor continually ran images of her heart beating.  The whole procedure took at least 20, maybe more like 30, minutes, and she didn't cry or fuss the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment