Monday, October 2, 2023

A Safe Return Home and all the Happenings Since

As you will no doubt appreciate given my blog post is 1.5 months behind, it has been a very hectic return to Hong Kong and a lot has happened since!  The kids are back in school, I started a new job, Michael has returned to Hong Kong (he stayed on in the US for a month after we returned), and my parents are now out in Asia traveling and staying with us in between their excursions. 

First, the 16 hour direct return flight from JFK to HK: pretty brutal because our flight took off so late, and the kids were so tired but didn't sleep that well or for that long on the plane. But we all enjoyed the lounge very much. It was especially cool that we got a perfect view of our plane. The kids loved it. 
But then we were home, sweet home, jetlag and all. As nice as the US was, we were all glad to be home. 
I wasted a lot of time and energy looking at apartments at the end of August because our lease was up in mid September.  Now I'm so glad we didn't bother with moving.  We feel a little bit tight with space but it isn't unbearable, and given I/ we will all be traveling a lot throughout the year, it seems unnecessary to move - at least right now. 

In August we went to the American Club, hung out in Stanley.  We got a new full time driver, Cliford.
I tried some fitness classes including an aerial yoga and Zumba class (I am now hooked).  I forgot how much I love cheesy 80s fitness classes - Zumba and step aerobics are my absolute favorite. Bust out the neon leotards and sweatbands woot woot!
In between apartment hunting and getting ready for a new job I was also looking for a new helper.  Our helper of the last four years, Lyn, won't be renewing with us and for about 2 weeks I was convinced we could make do with one less helper.  It only took the worst typhoon in 3 years, black rain storms, one helper's ghastly run in with gastro, and another helper's run in with police, that quickly convinced me otherwise.  Our work life balance is a fragile peace that you take for granted at your own risk. The devastation wrought by į¹­yphoon Saola:
As if that weren't enough, Al had developed this crazy skin condition where he was scratching himself bloody and I was being driven to distraction trying to figure out what was wrong with him. It was very stressful. It took going to a pediatrician who finally (finally!) was willing to say it wasn't eczema and help us find the right diagnosis.  Poor Al. 
Otherwise, the kids have been playing together better and better and actively seel each other out.
At the end of August we went on a trip to Ocean Park:
Then in mid September, I started a new job!  After my entire career at one law firm, I have now switched to be a partner at a law firm just down the street!  Literally, half a block. I continue to have the same practice, primarily representing corporates and financial sponsors working on cross border M&A transactions across the broader APAC region.  The change has been at times anxiety producing, but mostly an educational, welcoming and rewarding experience. I am about 3 weeks in.  Of course the day I had to get my headshot it was rainy and humid.  
In mid September, the kids went to the airport to pick up yeye and popo. 
Shortly thereafter,  the kids also welcomed Michael home (he had all kinds of great presents for them, and I know he missed them terribly ).
Since early September, the kids have been doing a semi private ice skating lesson at Elements ICC every weekend. They love it. 
The best part may be the fancy lunch I decided we deserved, at my favorite restaurant, the Ritz Lounge and Bar on the 102nd floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment