Sunday, August 13, 2023

A Whirlwind Summer, Over Just Like That

I can't believe a whirlwind 8 weeks are over, just like that. 

We managed to fly on a 16 hour direct flight with 3 kids from HK to JFK; catch up with dozens of family members; the kids got to meet their extended family for the first time; my 96 year old grandmother met her great grandsons; the kids got to experience an American style summer of freedom and swimming and running around outdoors in wide open spaces; we all got used to trudging up and down stairs; I drove a car for a sustained period of time for the first time in 10 or 20 years; we road-tripped to Ohio and the kids got the warmest and best reception from their paternal cousins and aunts and uncles; their 73 year old nona got to meet the boys for the first time; we spent a luxurious and amazing two weeks in the Hamptons, farming, eating, playing, kayaking, swimming, lounging, and relaxing; and finally, survived the 16 hour return flight (including flying over Russian airspace, I cringe) back to Hong Kong.  

It is always bittersweet to come back from vacation, but this one has felt particularly notable because of how long we have managed to be in the US and how significant this time has been for me personally.  What a blessing.

As usual, lots going on all at once, so I vacillate between feeling on top of the world (like this morning, when I finally fixed our printer) to overwhelming tides of anxiety (like afternoon two days ago, when my notebook of to do lists seemed insurmountable and to multiply before my eyes).

I would like before things get absolutely crazy again to try to document the summer, recognizing I will have to jump around a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment