Thursday, October 27, 2022

Contentment

"True contentment is not having everything, but in being satisfied with everything you have."  

I don't think anyone embodies this as much as my dad.  He more than anyone I have ever met or know, knows how to be immensely satisfied and content with what he has.  The perspective doesn't stop him from striving or trying to improve or work hard, but he is truly impervious to comparisons, worries of the grass being always greener, or fear of missing out.

My mom told me that during the pandemic when she was fretting about not being able to travel or all the fun their friends who decided to go anyway were having abroad, my dad referenced his simple instant hot coffee, brewed and doctored exactly to his standard of taste, and said something along the lines of, "but, I have my hot coffee right here and do not seek for anything."  

If that isn't just so quintessentially my father, and captures everything!

But isn't that really lovely also?  A wise man.

No comments:

Post a Comment