Tuesday, January 12, 2021

New Year Intentions

 I don't usually make new year resolutions because it feels too daunting and any study of habits and humans and sloth will show you that resolutions are very hard to keep and a new year really has no impact, except probably to make you feel extra discouraged when you fail your resolution on, say, the second day of the new year.  

 But I did read one of those inspirational articles a while back that said it might be better to set an intention for your year, like how you set an intention at the beginning of your yoga practice.  It feels more spiritual and less strict, doesn't it?  Not sure how far it will take me.  

But actually all of the above is moot because I haven't made a new year resolution OR set a new year intention.  I've just finally started tackling something that I procrastinate and avoid like crazy, and have always avoided my whole life. And I started tackling it last month, when we were still in 2020.

I've finally done (and am still in process of doing) a deep dive into our finances.  I am also, for the first time, really thinking about setting a budget.  But in order to set a budget I have to know our spending habits and trends.  I know, this sounds absolutely nuts that I do not have a firmer grasp on all of this.  How does one manage a household or feel clear or calm about one's finances if one doesn't actually have a blueprint, a budget, or even a clear allocation of sources and uses?

No comments:

Post a Comment