Thursday, December 3, 2020

A Celebratory Streak: Peking Duck and Stuffing, the Boys are 11 Months, Birthday Balloons and Cakes

 This was a very busy week for us, with Thanksgiving occurring last Thursday, the boys turning 11 months on Saturday, my birthday on Sunday, and Lola turning three on Tuesday!  Phew.  Lots of cake and bubbly and balloons and even a purple bicycle.  In between all of that, our Christmas tree was delivered, so it's really beginning to feel like Christmas (kind of - our weather here is "cold" hovering in the mid 60s).

First, Thanksgiving - the boys' first!  I think it's at least the fourth Thanksgiving since we've had Peking duck and we continued the tradition.  The kids loved being all at the table together, even though Al and Teo were whisked away pretty soon thereafter for bedtime.  Michael loved stuffing, I loved the  duck, Lola barely tolerated anything except the cucumbers, and the boys' favorite was probably the pancake.  Good to see that the kids continue our tradition of all liking different foods.


Here is one of Michael and the kids with Auntie Lyn and Siti.

Al and Teo are 11 months!!! One month until they turn ONE year old.  Sometimes I just sit (while adjudicating a fight over toys, swiping up some crumbs, holding one kid, calling out to another kid) and marvel that this. is. happening.  This. is. my. life.  It's beautiful and difficult and stressful and awesome and exhausting and fun.  I handle it with panache and grace and frustration and denial and gratitude and, yeah you get the idea.  It is a rollercoaster of emotions and tumultuous thoughts.  Echoing what Michael said in one of his coach pep talks to me this afternoon when I was feeling particularly run down and worn, some day we will look back on this and marvel at how we made it through this unprecedented mess of a year, with TWINS and a TODDLER, during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC, and survived.  It surely has to be a g-damn miracle.

For now, cuteness.







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Al and Teo are both pulling themselves up (we really need to adjust their cribs), Teo has started full on crawling (but still only for a little bit before he reverts to army crawl), they both will cry out "mama" when they are feeling need for attention, and they are both incredibly interested in sounds and activities in the kitchen.  Teo has figured out how to play the pinball machine with gusto (bravo! He is really good at it) and Al loves pulling on chairs (dining or his sister's desk set). They both continue to be fascinated by their older sister.  They both have a ton of teeth coming in at the same time, they are drool monsters (though very handsome with their bibs). They are unequivocally rockstars on our street. Siti tells me that the aunties on the block keep track of their daily movements, such that if they go out for a walk slightly late they will hear comments from the other aunties about it.  I believe it, as I am recognized around the neighborhood purely from Al and Teo!

Now, onto Lola's third birthday.  I can't believe this little firecracker is three.  We decided to celebrate her birthday on Saturday. She knew thought that it wasn't her "real" birthday, because she woke up on Tuesday and declared, "today is my ACTUAL birthday."  It just meant more opportunities to sing the birthday song and blow out candles and eat cake, so we weren't complaining.

We only had two kids over, being conscious of social distance protocols and given we are in the throes of the fourth wave (ahhhh, rich tai tai's and their ballroom dancing/gigolos/social activities), but it was honestly the best and most rewarding and fulfilling time.  It was probably just as much work to prep for the party with 3 kids as it would have been to prep for 10, but it was still wonderful and I think both Michael and I are so grateful that it worked out so well.  

Overall, Lola was most excited for her cake  - you guys should have seen her face when her $100+ strawberry shortcake from Lady M was finally unveiled.  It was all that she was waiting for.  Guys, seriously, she really only cared about the cake.  See pictures below.  The brothers had some cake as well, and also loved it.





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On MY actual birthday (which arhem, gets overshadowed by Lola's and her excitement for her birthday, not that I'm complaining) we had hotpot.  To my surprise, I no longer have the tolerance for extreme spice that I thought I previously had.  But I still have no regrets.  Such is my love and passion (and addiction?) for Sichuan hotpot.  My birthday was a great one.  Thank you to all who sent me happy birthday messages and videos, who called me, or who otherwise reached out

My friend Bonnie came over for hotpot on Saturday, and to hang out generally with the kids.  Lola wanted to be her doctor, for a lot of ailments...

Michael got me a special raspberry cake from the Mandarin, which was a huge hit. 
Lola was really, really, into blowing out the candles and helping me celebrate.  I explained to her how we had to close our eyes and think really hard and make a wish (and not tell anyone) before we blew out our candles, and she took that very seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment