Saturday, October 7, 2017

Happy Friday!

After my supremely whiny post from yesterday, I'm ready to channel some more positive vibes now that I'm on this side of Friday.  The weekend ahead looks nice - more so because I've decided I need to take action into my own hands (or, really, my own head).

Work and stress will always be there and I really need to learn better ways to cope with this stuff, whether by pushing back, erecting more boundaries, or even just compartmentalizing my feelings and giving more attention to the present.  These are all such easy things to type, but they're so hard to effect in practice.

I went to my prenatal check up today (they're getting more frequent now!) and was told by my doctor and the midwife to slow down, relax, and try to take things more easily now.  We want the baby to make it to full term, and I want to maintain a healthy, less stressed attitude for the remaining months.  I also don't want any mandatory bed rest or unexpected hospital visits...   I got the whooping cough vaccination (seriously, is whooping cough still a thing?!) but apparently there is an ongoing epidemic and babies are very vulnerable to it, so it has been recommended by the CDC and most doctors for women in their third trimester.

One happy thing that occurred yesterday that I didn't include in my post was my lovely conversation with my grandmother.  She is 89 years old, turning 90 in a couple of months - full of energy and spark, with a robust voice and plenty of cheer.  She lives in her own room on the third floor of my parents' house, which means she happily clomps up and down three flights of stairs every day (and refuses to have it any other way).  She has been very excited about my pregnancy, eagerly awaiting the chance to meet her great grandchild.

Meanwhile, my parents have been having a fantastic time in Peru, hitting up Lima, Cusco, and seeing the various amazing sights (including Machu Pichu).  I'm so happy that they now both have the chance to travel with their friends at every chance they get.  My parents have worked so hard their whole lives and scrimped and saved at every opportunity, so it really warms my heart that they are wholeheartedly embracing retirement with such zest and zeal.  I'm of course also really looking forward to their visit to Hong Kong in December (which is coming up so quickly)!

Despite all the work and craziness of work yesterday, I still managed to go and grab dinner in the neighborhood with a good girl friend, so that was also really nice.  We just sat around and chatted about all kinds of random and esoteric and interesting things, while catching up on life as well.  Soon I'm not going to have as much freedom or flexibility to do these things, so I am cherishing these moments now.

I also feel compelled to share my love of Eberjey pajamas, specifically the Gisele sets (they are so soft), and just got myself another set, this time in a nightshirt rather than top and pants.  Too bad I missed the 20% off Shopbop sale though - I was thinking carefully about what I wanted and missed the window!  Doh.

Phew, okay, that's a wrap.  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment