Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dim Sum at Metropol Restaurant

Since our office has moved locations, I have been to Metropol Restaurant for dim sum a couple of times.  We are a bit desperate for lunch options!  It is a very large restaurant, sprawling in the classic Cantonese style, occupying the fourth floor of the United Center.

While the Metropole is not my favorite dim sum joint in Hong Kong, and, given the vast quantity of dim sum choices here, probably doesn't even make my top five list, I won't turn down an office dim sum lunch!

I struggle to pinpoint what my issues are with this place.  Generally, I think the food isn't served hot enough for my liking.  Because the food circulates in the cart, much of it isn't as crisp or as "fresh" tasting as some of the other dim sum places I've been.  They cook their vegetables too long, so that they are meltingly mushy.  That is a bit of a no-no for me.  And no dish really shines or seems particularly exemplary.

However, as you can see, it certainly has its fans, especially at lunch time.

They have the traditional carts that circulate the floor, carrying in the bamboo steamers little pockets of culinary treasures.


They also have a table in the center, where you can pick up certain prepared dishes or order items a la carte.

This is how a good dim sum table looks: a lot of little platters and steamers crammed in and piled on top of each other!
 Working generally clockwise: kale with oyster sauce, Shanghai dumplings, shrimp dumplings, lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice and chicken, Pu-er tea, barbecued pork, rice crullers with sesame seeds, chive dumplings, pickled jellyfish, picked cucumbers, open faced shrimp and pork dumplings, pork skin, fatty pork with mustard dipping sauce, two varieties of barbecue buns
Makes you hungry, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment