Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Relaxing in the Hamptons

I stayed at my friend's beautiful house in East Hampton last Thursday and Friday, helping her celebrate her birthday with friends from near and far.  It was so lovely to be there, with trees and grass and woods everywhere, a swimming pool and deck at my disposal with floaties dispersed freely, and sun kissed berries and silky corn fields planted literally hundreds of feet from endless stretches of beach.

The only horrible thing was that it took 4 hours to get out there from the city on Thursday afternoon.  But I get the draw of the place.  The whole Hamptons shouts vacation vibes.  I inadvertently packed an entire wardrobe consisting of only blue and white - chambray, floating linen, and white and blue floral - apparently I was in a color-themed state of mind!    I am certain that Lola would have loved it out there, but without Michael in town and with my parents and Jovie available to watch Lola, I snuck the opportunity to enjoy a little down time alone.  It was truly relaxing and wonderful.

On Friday, I went to the Farmers' Market with my friends, ooh'ed and aah'ed over the produce of which I snapped many pictures.  The flowers!  The honey!  The berries!  The corn!  I loved it.
 



 Something about fresh green vegetables and herbs laid out in little containers or in wood baskets makes my heart sing.







And then we went to arguably the MOST beautiful place for lunch in Montauk, Duryea's.


You could smell the salt of the ocean, hear the occasional sea gull punctuated by the distant hum of a motor boat, and soak up the sun as huge platters of fresh seafood, salad and fries arrived without pause.  The restaurant had cleverly put up a net over the outdoor deck, so that the sun dappled artistically on your arms and face and food.  I mean, is this the life or what?

Before we even sat down to lunch and enjoyed our sumptuous feast, I was messaging Michael about buying a place in East Hampton to serve as our vacation home.
 




My friend had done an amazing job renovating her bright, airy place.
 
 
 
 
 
Nut it was while lying in her hydrangea-lined pool in the afternoon, floating aimlessly while staring up at the bright blue sky and puffy white clouds that were framed by the bracing branches of majestic oaks, that I fell in love. 

In the evening on Friday, we went to an outdoor movie showing of 12 Angry Men at Marders, a huge garden that hosts event spaces at night.  In its simplest terms, the place was really just a nursery/gardening store.  But it felt majestic and magical.
 

They had strategically placed bales of hay throughout the garden.  We plopped down without ceremony on some picnic blankets, the wine and cheese came out, and as dusk fell, fireflies everywhere briefly lit up the night.  A barn was backlit in the distance, planes occasionally droned by, and, when the sun finally set, the Big Dipper could be seen directly overhead.  It was really amazing.
The beaches here are, as expected, lovely.  But surprisingly not that crowded.  But they are also very, very hot.  I think on both days that we went we lasted about 20 minutes.
 
On Saturday I only had time to squeeze in a breakfast coffee and pastries run, a quick foray to the beach, and a trip to another market, before I had to leave.  I was going directly to my grandma's 90th birthday party, which my uncle was hosting at his house in Syosset on Long Island.

Here are some final shots on my way out of town:
 
This corn field was one street away from the beach!
I got this shot of the perfect vineyards as my bus rolled out of town.
Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Hamptons, and am so grateful I got the chance to go!  Huge thanks to my friend's generosity as well, in making this little holiday possible.  She was such an amazing host, handling all of her houseguests with endless patience and ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment