Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Back in Hong Kong and Attempts at Normalcy

Now that I'm back in Hong Kong (it is SO hot and humid here!) and have had the weekend to recover and try to get back into my normal life, let's turn to some of the more mundane things that have been going on, shall we?

My first order of business upon my return home, after greeting Michael (who felt like a bit of a stranger after my long sojourn away!), catching up with my family, eating dinner, and showering, was indulging in a manicure and pedicure.  Light pink on the fingers, sea foam on the toes.  It made me feel so much better.

Over the weekend, I got a desperately-needed haircut at the Aveda salon in Central.  It was my first time trying them out, and I really liked it!  My stylist, Moses, was a pretty serious character who got down to work immediately.  He seemed to  understand what I wanted and I think it worked out really well (even though I didn't have any pictures for references).

I then went to see my masseuse, who tsk'ed at how long it had been since I'd been there and tsk'ed extra hard at how tight my shoulders and neck were.  Apparently I am also starting to retain water in my legs.  I guess this is the third trimester swelling that I've been hearing about from everyone!

I also slept long and hard, as often as I wanted and as often as I felt like.  I interspersed episodes of "The Good Wife" in between my naps and have been trying to get to bed by 10:30 every night.

I went back to yoga for the first time in two weeks, which was both painful and wonderful.  I felt like my legs were wobbly and I couldn't hold poses as long...I've also been struggling to find my enthusiasm for yoga classes lately, mainly because of my body changes but also because I currently really only like one teacher, and her classes are such a struggle to get into.

We have now also signed a helper who will commence working with us this fall.  We have found that communicating with her has been a bit of a challenge, given the language barrier and her passive communication style... so this will be interesting for us.  I am about 65% optimistic that this will work out, but in the meantime, the text conversations have been interesting at least.  Fingers crossed!

Otherwise, all else is as usual.  We continue to clean out our storage closet and re-arrange our apartment.  I read up on post-partum ice pads and have thoroughly frightened myself with vivid descriptions of post-partum recovery.  We continue to struggle to come up with a good name for the little one. 

I am 30 weeks today - and baby is the size of a butternut squash, weighing in at just over 3 pounds.  It's crazy to think that there are only 10 weeks left to go!  I read that the baby is gaining weight at a pretty fast pace, or just about half a pound a week from now until the due date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment