Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Holy Moly, Kale Chips!!!

How have I not made kale chips before??

When I first heard the idea I knew it was something I would like.  Every recipe I vaguely heard made it sound like a really, really easy thing to make.  So why have I not made it until now?

Wow.  I hope it's not bad to eat an entire bowl of this (like, is it possible to overdose on Vitamin A and Vitamin K, or something).  As soon as I popped my first batch out of the oven, I knew the chances were slim to none that I could make this last more than a night.

Here is what you need to do:

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees F.  I read a few different recipes and I think the lower temperature is better / doesn't burn your kale to a crisp.

Remove the ribs from the kale, leaving 1 1/2 inch pieces (I approximated and cut some into 1 inch pieces, figuring more surface area meant more crispy bits, which I love).

Toss with olive oil and any other topping of your choice, depending on how healthy you wish to be.  I opted for a light sprinkle of salt, pepper, cumin and chili pepper.  I think next time I will try a soy sauce and sesame "Asian" variation.

 Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through if you wish.  I had mine in for about 20 minutes for my first batch and then nearly 35 minutes for my second (larger and wetter) batch.
Pull out of the oven.  You're done!

My first batch:

My second batch:
As you can see, my second batch was a little bit more baked.  You can experiment with how dry/crispy you like the kale (this may vary inversely with how impatient you are to get your hands on this said kale).

Just try not to burn your greedy little fingers snatching these up from the baking sheet!

Don't laugh - my plate not more than five minutes later:

No comments:

Post a Comment