Thursday, April 4, 2024

My March Singapore Business Trip

Ahhh how am I almost a month behind on the blog!  We have just returned from an epic, cultural, interesting family trip to Beijing for Easter, only for me to realize that I hadn't even managed to blog about my business trip to Singapore from before Easter.  Whoops.  

So here we go!

I went for a few days in the third week of March with a couple of my colleagues and we managed to line up a great series of meetings with clients, intermediaries and advisers.  

I also got the chance to see some former colleagues and eat great food.  I loved the cultural diversity of Singapore's Arab Quarter, Kampong Glam.  The Sultan Mosque was beautiful, as well as all the street art and kitschy shops.  I went into a few stores, drawn by the beauty of the cloth and fabrics and veils, but was too intimidated to try to buy anything for myself.  I wandered out (of course) with outfits for the kids fashioned from traditional batik.
Among other tasty meals, I particularly enjoyed Native, a restaurant located on Amoy Street in one of my favorite new neighborhoods, Telok Ayer.  Pictured, our delicious and decadent dinner, along with one shot of a Turkish wrap and Turkish coffee from my lunch at Cappadocia Turkish and Mediterranean Cuisine in Kampong Glam:
I stayed at the Fullerton, which as a heritage hotel transformed from a former post office, definitely has its quirks.  But the convenience to my office can't be beat.  And the view at night is also pretty amazing.While I am away I can't help but take endless pictures of the airport, the airplanes, the sky - all with Al and Teo in mind.  It really is true; after having children I have found myself even more attuned to the simple and the small details wherever I am, even when they are not with me.  Wherever I go, I carry them with me in my heart, and they are always on my mind!  For the first picture in the top left, I couldn't help but gasp when I saw the plane take off, and my immediate instinct was to reach for Al or Teo to jab excitedly for them to look! Look! LOOK!While I was away the kids enjoyed FaceTime with their popo and yeye (my parents),  enjoyed FaceTime with me, and generally carried out their usual school activities.  I also sent them some pictures of me on the airport express (it's back!  And one of my favorite things about Hong Kong).  Michael got to take Al and Teo to school on Friday and enjoyed a special school tour/visit with them.  The kids also finished up their tennis lessons for the term, with Lola and Teo both winning in their age groups for most improved and best players.  We were very very proud!
Remember the batik print I mentioned?  Upon my return we rocked them loud and proud, including a fun trip to the first floor where the kids enjoyed their ride on vehicles (thank you Taobao, all purchased during the height of the pandemic) and then to Stanley where the main focus was on eating ice cream and less on riding bikes.  Speaking of riding bikes... the balance bikes are a godsend.  The boys hopped on their sister's regular two wheeler and within seconds were pedaling on their own with no issues whatsoever.  Amazing!!
But for now the boys still prefer their balance bikes, because they said they are lighter and they can go faster.  The two of them can really whiz around on those things...they are a joy to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment