Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Home Sweet Home

While I was away in the U.S., the kids were still having their usual activities and events.  

Lola's teacher sent me this picture of her hanging upside down like a tree frog.  Apparently the brothers had a gander as well.
While away, I missed the kids a ton and 
apparently the feeling was quite mutual, with Lola telling me over FaceTime that I was "stressing her out" by being away, and Teo telling me that "Ma ma, wo hao xiang ni ah!" ("Mommy, I miss you so much!").  When I returned, the kids were super happy and excited at first, but then you could see the stress of my being away manifest itself, especially in Lola and Teo. 

 Al is a little rock of steadfastness and nothing in his behavior noticeably changed.  He just showed his affection and happiness by tickling me a lot in the car while sitting next to me.  Lola was in a state of emotional extremes, hyper and happy but then immediately whiny and moody in the car heading home.  And Teo was calm and happy until the next morning, when nothing could go right and he was very emotional and clingy.  These big feelings... my poor children!  

A couple of days in I think every one is feeling more adjusted and comforted that I am back.  When I dropped the kids off at school on Monday in the morning, Teo refused to go down to the car first and waited for me, then held my hand and asked, "ma ma, ni zhi dao weishenme wo zheme ai ni ma?" ("Mommy, do you know why I love you so much?")   His answer?  Because my hands are so soft. It was so cute. 

 The boys' teacher at Mulberry is phenomenal and uploads detailed pictures and updates of the boys every week.  Can't you just tell how much fun the school makes learning?  It is bittersweet that Al and Teo will be graduating this year.
Upon my return home, the kids had planned a really great surprise for me, with a whole spread of rainbow and colorful flowers, and lots of fruit, and candles and a tablecloth.
Michael flew out to the US the night after I returned to Hong Kong (late Sunday night) and will be there for a month, so we basically switched places. In order to squeeze the most out of the day we had together as a family, we hung out at home, playing and reading (the kids put on a karate and Roman show, alternating between mock sparring and dress up).  Then we went out to Stanley for ice cream (this was to celebrate Lola for doing so well on her student led conference on Friday, despite her anxiety about it).  She was very sweet and decided to save her celebratory snack for when I returned, and she wanted her brothers to come along. The kids chose mint chocolate chip, m&m's, and matcha flavor respectively.  After that we went to the American Club to play and then eat dinner.  We actually probably had the most fun kicking around a few plastic balls playing soccer and running around with impromptu made up balloon hitting and tag games.
Love!  Now, I am really looking forward to some semblance of hopefully normal routine, while we finish out the remaining two months of the school year.  Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment